Connect with us

News

Gnanasara Thero urges to quizz on Easter attack ‘mastermind’ claims

Published

on

The Bodu Bala Sena (BBS) organization has urged authorities to immediately question Manusha Nanayakkara, Harin Fernando, and the Archbishop of Colombo – His Eminence Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith regarding their claims about a mastermind behind the Easter Sunday attacks.

During yesterday’s (March 20) press conference, BBS General Secretary – Ven. GalagodaAththe Gnanasara Thero had pointed out that although 06 months have elapsed since the new government came to power, no updates about the probe on the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks were revealed.

“Using parliamentary privileges, Manusha Nanayakkara and Harin Fernando made statements claiming that there was a mastermind behind the Easter Sunday attack. The narrative about a ‘mastermind’ gained traction since then. They, along with the Cardinal, have continuously pushed for answers regarding this so-called mastermind. But until today, have any of them been questioned or provided evidence? Even Azad Maulana had told ‘Channel 4’ that he was aware of this. He wasn’t questioned either. He began to make various statements while in Europe. Now, it has been six months since this government came into power. Yet, there has been no update regarding the mastermind or any new findings,” the Thero had said.

“Even today, 24 members of Zahran’s ISIS terror suspects are still alive and under arrest. Has even one of them spoken a word to support Maulana’s claims? Maulana had claimed that an intelligence officer met Saharan’s group in a van. If that is true, shouldn’t the driver of that van be questioned? He is still in prison. … Zahran’s wife is also alive. Therefore, question them,” he added.

“I challenge you to come for a debate with me on this. I will debate with facts,” the Thero further added.

(Source: Aruna)

News

Illukpitiya’s bail application rejected

Published

on

By

The Supreme Court rejected a bail application filed on behalf of former Controller General of Immigration and Emigration – Harsha Illukpitiya,  who is currently in remand custody for contempt of court.The decision was delivered by Supreme Court Justice Achala Wengappuli, with the concurrence of Justices Preethi Padman Surasena and Gamini Amarasekara.

Delivering the decision, the judge stated that a date has already been set for the hearing of the case on May 8.

On September 25, 2024, the Supreme Court ordered Harsha Ilukpitiya to be remanded until the conclusion of the contempt of court proceedings for failing to implement the Court’s order regarding the controversial visa deal. This order was issued against the respondent under Section 9(7) of the Contempt of Court, Tribunal, or Institution Act No. 08 of 2024.

Continue Reading

News

Inmate murdered at Boossa Prison

Published

on

By

An inmate being held under remand custody at the Boossa High-Security Prison, has been murdered using a sharp weapon.

The deceased inmate has been identified as Nanda Kumar Shivananda (46) and according to reports, he had sustained 11 stab wounds.

Prison authorities suspect that the murder was carried out by another inmate currently serving a prison sentence at the same prison facility,

Continue Reading

News

Consultant contract signed with Japan for DTTB project (Pics)

Published

on

By

A consultant contract for the detailed design of the Japan’s project “Digital Terrestrial Television Broadcasting Project” was signed between Secretary to the Ministry of Health and Mass Media – Dr. Anil Jasinghe, and the Japanese company – Yachiyo Engineering yesterday (April 03).

The event was graced by the presence of Minister of Health and Mass Media – Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa, Deputy Minister of Finance and Planning – Dr. Harshana Suriyapperuma, Deputy Minister of Digital Economy – Eng. Eranga Weeraratne and Ambassador of Japan to Sri Lanka – Mr. Akio Isomata.

The Digital Terrestrial Television Broadcasting Project is a project that supports transformation to a digital economy, which is the foundation for sustainable economic growth, through the effective use of limited and scarce frequencies. This project also contributes to improvement of people’s lives through the provision of diverse contents, including information and alert on natural disasters, and the securing of a healthy competitive environment in the broadcasting industry.  

Ambassador Isomata emphasised that the project should be implemented without any further delay, mentioning the fact that it took 10 years before the consultant contract was signed today since the bilateral agreement was concluded between Japan and Sri Lanka.   

He expressed his expectation that all parties concerned will work closely together to implement the project in a steady manner for the benefit the people of Sri Lanka in achieving a digitalized economy.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Sri Lanka Mirror. All Rights Reserved