Connect with us

News

China imposes 34% reciprocal tariffs on goods from US

Published

on

China said on Friday it will impose reciprocal 34% tariffs on all imports from the United States from April 10, making good on a promise to strike back after US President Donald Trump escalated a global trade war.

On Wednesday, Trump unveiled an additional 34% tariffs on all Chinese goods imported into the US, in a move poised to cause a major reset of relations and worsen trade tension between the world’s two largest economies.

“This practice of the US is not in line with international trade rules, seriously undermines China’s legitimate rights and interests, and is a typical unilateral bullying practice,” China’s State Council Tariff Commission said in a statement announcing its retaliatory tariffs. 

Since returning to power in January, Trump had already levied two tranches of 10% additional duties on all Chinese imports, which the White House said was necessary to stem the flow of illicit fentanyl from the country to the US. That means Chinese goods arriving in the US would be effectively subject to 54% tariffs.

China’s retaliation against the latest round of US tariffs are more sweeping than its earlier reciprocal actions. Beijing had responded to those previous levies swiftly, but moderately, imposing retaliatory tariffs on targeted US imports including agricultural products and fuel, while taking action against certain American firms and ramping up export controls.

The 54% tariffs are higher than what many analysts had expected and could fundamentally reshape relations, and roughly half a trillion dollars in trade, between the two economies after decades of interdependence.

As part of the retaliatory measures announced Friday, when hundreds of millions of people in China celebrated a major public holiday, the country also added 11 American companies to its “unreliable entity list,” including drone manufacturers, and put export controls on 16 American companies to prohibit the export of Chinese dual-use items.

The Commerce Ministry announced anti-dumping investigations into imported medical CT X-ray tubes originating from the United States and India.

In addition, Beijing also unveiled export controls on seven types of rare-earth minerals to the US, including samarium, gadolinium and terbium.

The challenges are multifold for businesses with supply chains rooted in China, which are now left scrambling as they face not only the unexpectedly high US levies on Chinese imports, but also on other Asian countries due to Trump’s broad-based tariffs.

The tariffs also come at a challenging time for China’s own slowing economy, with officials in recent weeks ramping up efforts to spur weak domestic consumption as they braced for the widening trade war.

US stock futures plunged Friday after China announced it would retaliate. Dow futures fell 1,000 points, or 2.3%. The broader S&P 500 was set to open 2.4% lower and the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite was on pace to start the day 2.7% lower. European and UK stocks were down more than 3% Friday, on pace for their worst performance in years.

Markets have been on edge for days: On Thursday, the Dow fell more than 1,600 points, or nearly 4%. The S&P 500 fell nearly 5% and the Nasdaq plunged nearly 6%. Each major US index recorded its worst performance in about five years, since the pandemic.

(CNN)

News

Lankan media locked out of Modi coverage

Published

on

By

The Sri Lankan media was blocked out from covering Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit, with the President’s Media Division (PMD) taking full control of the coverage and failing dismally in coordinating events with local journalists.

While the Indian High Commission coordinated the Indian media personnel, an entourage of around 30, many travelling with their prime minister, the Sri Lankan media was left to its own devices, given access to cover only the ceremonial welcome at Independence Square.

At the event where the two leaders made their respective statements, only state television ‘Rupavahini’ was allowed in from the Sri Lankan media, but the entire Indian press corps was invited in.

The PMD decided to keep the coverage of a national event ‘exclusive’ to its team, with reports reaching Indian newsrooms before those in Colombo.

Sri Lankan media received the Indian High Commission news releases, including Prime Minister Modi’s speech and details of the agreements signed, and also from Prime Minister Modi’s ‘X’ handle in Sinhala, Tamil and English hours before the PMD releases reached them.

President Anura Kumara Dissanayake’s speech was received more than five hours later.

No opportunity for Lankan journalists

A few Sri Lankan journalists were invited to a briefing by the Indian Foreign Secretary Vikram Mistri in Colombo, but they were not given an opportunity to raise questions as only Indian journalists were called by name by an Indian officer coordinating the event.

(This story, originally published by The Sunday Times has not been edited by SLM staff)

Continue Reading

News

Tamil politicians meet with Indian PM

Published

on

By

Leaders of the Tamil community of Sri Lanka met with visiting Indian PM Narendra Modi in Colombo. 

The PM reaffirmed India’s steadfast commitment to supporting the aspirations of the Tamil community for a life of equality, dignity and justice within a united Sri Lanka.

He has also highlighted India’s continued support, in collaboration with the Government of Sri Lanka, for initiatives such as the construction of 10,000 houses, enhancement of healthcare facilities, development of the sacred Seetha Eliya temple and other development projects for the IOTs.

Continue Reading

News

Opp. leader meets PM Modi

Published

on

By

Visiting Indian Prime Minister – Narendra Modi has met with Opposition Leader of Sri Lanka – Sajith Premadasa.

“Glad to meet Sri Lanka’s Leader of the Opposition, Mr. Sajith Premadasa. Appreciated his personal contribution and commitment to strengthening India-Sri Lanka friendship. Our special partnership receives support in Sri Lanka cutting across party lines. Our cooperation and robust development partnership are guided by the welfare of the people of our two countries,” a post on Mr. Modi’s X account states.

Meanwhile, Mr. Premadasa has also stated on X : “Honoured to have met with Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a moment that calls for more than economic cooperation, it calls for a deeper partnership between our nations. Sri Lanka and India have the chance to shape a future of Shared Ascent, where growth is not just measured in trade, but in the wellbeing of our people. Grateful for India’s unwavering support during Sri Lanka’s most difficult times.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Sri Lanka Mirror. All Rights Reserved