Oct 19, 2018

Terror charges against Lankan student dropped

Police say they won’t apologise after dropping terror charges against Mohamed Kamer Nizamdeen, a university student who was accused of an assassination plot targeting Australian politicians.

Nizamdeen, a 25-year-old PhD student, was arrested in August and accused of plotting Islamic State-inspired lone-wolf attacks targeting the Opera House, other notable landmarks, and the former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull.

The prosecution relied almost exclusively on a notebook police said contained details of the plot.

The matter appeared again in the Central local court on Friday. Prosecutors dropped the charges and withdrew the case.

Speaking outside court, Nizamdeen’s lawyer, Moustafa Kheir, flagged potential civil action over his client’s treatment. He said he would also apply for his legal costs.

“What authorities have done to this young man is absolutely unforgivable,” Kheir told reporters outside the court. “We will be seeking justice for him in the NSW supreme court.

“It’s a terrible experience, as a young man who has done everything right in life, he has gone through supermax jail in unforgivable circumstances.”

NSW police assistant commissioner Mick Willing denied police had ruined the young man’s life stating “those who were involved in the production and manufacture of (the notebook) are the ones who’ve had an impact on Mr Nizamdeen”.

Nizamdeen spent about last four weeks in jail before being bailed last month. His family and supporters maintained his innocence, and the case prompted protests in his hometown in Sri Lanka.

Nizamdeen is in Australia on a student visa while he completes his studies.

(Excerpts : theguardian.com)

Related News :

Silent protest in support of Mohamed Kamer Nilan Nizamdeen

Terror accused Lankan student granted bail by Australian courts

Faizer Mustafa believes his relative is innocent

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Top