According to Military Spokesman Brigadier Sumith Attapattu, focus has been directed on several videos where the said military uniform clad person is present.
“The Army seeks public assistance to identify this person suspected to be a member of the security forces and subsequent to investigations, if it is established that this person is a security forces member, the army would take severe disciplinary action against him.”
If any information regarding this incident is available the army requests the public to contact the investigation unit of the Corpse of Military Police on the emergency hotline 0112514280.
Images of this person dressed in military attire is circulating on social media showing him standing by with rifle in hand while the saboteurs are attacking a particular site.
Residents allege that while the mobs were attacking certain places, the police and security forces had done nothing. A separate investigation has been launched by the Ministry of Defence in this regard.
78 suspects in custody:
Due to violence and unrest during the past two days in the Wayamba Province Police divisions of Kurunegala, Kuliyapitiya, Nikaweratiya and Chilaw so far the police have arrested 78 suspects, Police Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara said.
They have been all been produced in court and remanded. Investigations are underway to arrest all others who had engaged in violence with the assistance of video footage obtained by the police. Among the 78 suspects arrested are employees of state and private sector, the police spokesman said.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has ordered the police to take steps against the persons engaged in sectarian violence in some parts of the country under the Emergency Regulations and International Covenant On Civil And Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.
It was revealed at a press briefing that CCTV footage would be made use of to identify those involved in these violent actions.
The situation has currently been brought under control with the assistance of the security forces.
Among the 78 suspects arrested are employees of state and private sector. “We will be taking measures to notify the companies that these suspects are employed at, regardless of whether they are employed in the state sector or private sector and we will provide all their details so that the institutions they work in can also take disciplinary action against them for engaging in violent and destructive behaviour,” SP Gunasekara said.
Grace period to surrender explosives, extended
The police had declared a time frame to notify them about the possession of illegal explosives etc without proper licenses. However this amnesty period would be extended until 6.00am on May 20th. After May 20th the police would launch a massive search operation to arrest those in possession of illegal explosives.
Addressing the media briefing, Navy Commander Vice Admiral Piyal de Silva said the terrorists had launched the terror attack on Easter Sunday with the aim of building a following in Sri Lanka.
He said by mobs attacking certain ethnic communities and damaging property only serves to realise the intentions of these terrorists.
The Navy Commander appealed to all parents to send their children to school without fear as the security operations are being carried out in a systematic manner by the security forces.