Feb 24, 2020

Easter attack investigations to be expedited Featured

The Defence Ministry has established a six member Task Force (TF) to monitor the progress to speed up the on-going investigation by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) into last year’s Easter Sunday serial terrorist attacks.

The six-member team, which includes top officials from various intelligence agencies and is headed by the Chief of National Intelligence,  Maj.Gen. Jagath Alwis, has been instructed to submit weekly reports to the Defence Secretary Maj.Gen. (Retd) Kamal Gunaratne.  

The TF was set up following a directive by President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to ensure speedy investigations into the attacks on churches and leading hotels in Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa

According to the head of the Police Legal Division DIG Ajith Rohana, 80% of the investigation into the Easter Sunday terror attacks has been completed so far. He said that having completed the major part of the investigations the legal procedures are being carried out.

However, it is notable that it has been over ten months since the Easter Sunday terror attacks.

216 suspects in custody

The police had arrested 216 suspects in connection with the April 21st terror attacks and out of that 153 suspects are still in detention through court orders.

It is also reported that investigations are underway on the four alleged Maldivian suspects who is said to have contributed to the carrying out of the attacks. Further, seven weapons, two cars, two Trishaws and a motorcycle believed to have been used by those connected to the terror attacks had been taken into police custody.

It is also reported that information has surfaced regarding the radicalization of Muslim youths and a group of police officers especially trained in India are working together with the community police in order to save these youths from being misled by such groups.

Top