The National Operation Centre for Prevention of COVID19 Outbreak (NOCPCO) said the total number of Ukranian tourists infected has therefore increased to six.
The cases were detected through PCR tests on the tourists who arrived on Dec. 28-29.
They have now been directed to treatment centres.
However the Ministry of Tourism has stressed that the detection of positive cases will not be a hindrance to the pilot project initiated to open country borders to selected tourists.
Shortcomings to be addressed
Meanwhile, health officials have said that shortcomings observed in the pilot project will be addressed in the future.
The project was widely criticised after many tourists were not seen wearing their facemasks in a proper manner and also during the welcome ceremony which featured dancers and performers with no face masks at all.
Speaking to media yesterday (31), Health Services Deputy Director Dr. Hemantha Herath has said since the process was a pilot project, the shortcoming would be addressed in future. Some shortcomings in the pilot project had been rectified immediately while other issues will be addressed in the coming days, he had added.
Related News :