The group of Muslim leaders had handed over all details along with the complaint to the visiting Special Rapporteur on the promotion of truth, justice, reparation and guarantees of non-recurrence during a meeting held in Aluthgama on October 18, said former Beruwela Opposition Leader A.R.M. Bathiudeen.
The attack launched subsequent to an instigating meeting of the BBS this attack was carried out against the Aluthgama Muslim people three years ago, resulting in the death of three persons and injuring over fifty and also causing millions of rupees in damage to property.
Despite the Sri Lanka Muslim Council and several other organisations notifying the former DIG of the possibility of inciting communal clashes by the nationalist meeting held by the BBS, he had ignored their warnings and concerns, the community leaders complained to the Special Rapporteur on the promotion of truth, justice, reparation and guarantees of non-recurrence Pablo de Greiff.
Orders from above:
They had told the UN Envoy that Senanayake had said, “The meeting is being held with the consent of higher authorities and I cannot stop it. Over 3,000 STF personnel will be deployed for security.”
The community leaders had told him that a huge destruction was caused as no action was taken to stop the clash.
Mohomed Firaz, Mohomed Sahuran and Mohomed Imra died as a result of this clash.
The Sri Lanka Muslim Council had notified the IGP Pujitha Jayasundara in writing, two years since the attack that no action was taken against the BBS perpetrators such as Ven. Galabodaththe Gnanasara Thera and other perpetrators.
“Gnanasara Thera has gallantly accepted the responsibility of the Aluthgama attack. The available video footage of the incident that took place on June 15, 2014 is plenty,” they had notified the IG.
The government meanwhile, notified in August this year that compensation of Rs. 2 million for death and Rs. 500,000 for those injured would be paid.
In response to a question posed by Ranil Wickremesinghe who was the then Opposition Leader, former Prime Minister D.M. Jayaratne had said in parliament that Rs. 200 million had been allocated for compensation for damaged property, a month after the attack.
No compensation yet:
Although several houses were built for the victims by the Army, so far no compensation has been granted, said former Beruwela Opposition Leader A.R.M. Bathiudeen.
Accordingly, a fundamental rights case was filed in July 2015 in the Supreme Court on the grounds the police had failed to take measures to prevent this incident and it is currently being heard.
The petitioners claim that over 2,000 Muslims had been left homeless and displaced while around 48 houses were completely destroyed and burnt.
The Special Envoy had accepted that justice had not been served to the Muslim people who were victims of this incident and assured that his recommendations would be included in his final report, said Bathiudeen.
Special Rapporteur on the promotion of truth, justice, reparation and guarantees of non-recurrence Pablo de Greiff’s final report on his visit to Sri Lanka will be presented to the UNHRC in September 2018.
Meanwhile, Anura Senanayake is out on tough bail conditions in connection with the Wasim Thadjudeen murder as well.