Connect with us

News

Investigation launched into tax evasion on 200 luxury vehicles 

Published

on

Officials of the Intelligence Unit of the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery and Corruption (CIABOC) told the Colombo Chief Magistrate Prasanna Alwis on Friday, December 8 that it has launched an investigation on the 200 luxury vehicles imported to Sri Lanka, depriving the Government of over Rs. 5 billion in tax revenue.

The luxury vehicles had been imported to Sri Lanka without proper Customs clearance by feeding false information to the computer data system of the Department of Motor Traffic.

The investigation revealed that each vehicle was imported to Sri Lanka under the guise of importing different materials and other types of vehicles.

According to the facts reported to the Court, the Government had lost Rs.50 million in tax revenue on a Toyota jeep improperly registered under the number KA 1141 and a Land Cruiser jeep registered under the number GF 8409.

The Land Cruiser which was imported to Sri Lanka in 2001 was brought for a diplomatic mission and the investigation revealed that it was registered with the Department of Motor Traffic in 2022 under the name of a private citizen.

The Toyota Jeep which had been registered on July 4, 2005 had not been issued a revenue licence nor a luxury vehicle tax imposed or number plates since December 22, 2015 and it was recorded that it had been brought…

to Sri Lanka as rubber based products.

The court agreed to the taking the vehicles, which are currently in the custody of private citizens, into the custody of the Customs for investigation under Sections 136 and 137 of the Customs Ordinance Act. The court put off further hearing for December 26.

Source – sundayobserver.lk

News

School outdoor activities suspended over soaring temperatures

Published

on

By

The Education Ministry has instructed all respective school authorities to refrain from making students participate in strenuous outdoor activities until Friday (March 01) at schools as temperatures are expected to rise further.

Accordingly, Sports Day events, sports practices or any other scheduled outdoor activities are urged to be suspended for the time being.

Provincial and zonal authorities of education have been instructed to brief school principals about the matter, the ministry said in a press release.

In addition, school administrations are required to comply with the health guidelines issued by the Health Ministry and the Education Ministry.

Continue Reading

News

Court suspends divestiture process of SLT & Lanka Hospitals

Published

on

By

The Court of Appeal yesterday (27) issued an interim order preventing authorities from proceeding with the divestiture process of Sri Lanka Telecom and Lanka Hospitals Corporation PLC, until March 12.

Three Petitions were filed for Sri Lanka Telecom PLC including by Lyca Mobiles, and S.M.R. M company, while two petitions were filed for Lanka Hospitals Corporation PLC including by Lyca Leasing Holdings.

Upon the oral submissions made by President’s Counsel Kuvera De Zoysa, Court of Appeal Justice D.N. Samarakoon issued notices on respondents, returnable for March 12.

The petitioners named Minister of Finance Ranil Wickremesinghe, State Minister of Finance Shehan Semasinghe, the members of the special Cabinet-appointed negotiating committee for the purpose of selecting pre-qualified bidders for the strategic divestiture pertaining to 51.34% shares of Lanka Hospitals PLC and several others as respondents.

Kuvera De Zoysa, PC with Raslka Dissanayake, Sajana de Zoysa, Dinusha Pathirana and Shablr Huzalr instructed by Sanath Wijewardane appeared for the petitioners.

The petitioners had informed the court that they had submitted bids per the required criteria for the divestiture of the Sri Lankan Government’s shares of 50.23% in Sri Lanka Telecom PLC and 51.34% in Lanka Hospitals Corporation PLC.

The petitioners alleged that, however, the Cabinet of Ministers had rejected the bids without providing any clear explanations, adding that the decision was against the law.

Continue Reading

News

Lankan convict in Gandhi assassination case passes away

Published

on

By

Santhan alias T Suthendiraraja, a Sri Lankan national who was one of the six convicts released in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, died on Wednesday morning at the Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital (RGGH) in Chennai.

Santhan, who was released by the Indian Supreme Court in November 2022, was kept at the special camp near the Tiruchirapalli Central Prison.

Last week, the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) in Chennai issued an order to deport Santhan to Sri Lanka, however, he was admitted to the RGGH for treatment for a kidney-related ailment.

Addressing the reports, E Thenirajan, Dean, RGGH, said that based on the directions of the Tiruchirapalli district collector, Santhan was admitted to the hospital on January 27.

Thenirajan said a team of doctors were treating him at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and constantly monitoring him. He said Santhan was diagnosed with cryptogenic cirrhosis or a liver disease.

“He suffered a setback to his health yesterday (Tuesday) night. He had lost consciousness and we were providing treatment. Around 4.30 am today (Wednesday), he suffered a cardiac arrest. He was revived following a CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) procedure and was on ventilator support. However, he failed to respond to further treatment and passed away at 7.50 am,” he said.

Thenirajan said they would carry out the post-mortem procedures now and take further measures to send his body to Sri Lanka.

According to court documents, Santhan is believed to have fled then strife-torn Sri Lanka in 1991 and reached India by boat, along with Sivarasan, who led the assassination team and was never caught alive, and a few others. According to the Supreme Court order, Santhan’s role in the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi was direct and active.

Santhan was initially sentenced to death for his involvement in the assassination of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1991, however, his sentence was commuted to life imprisonment. He was released in November 2022, along with five other convicts, after spending over three decades in prison.

(The Indian Express)

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 Sri Lanka Mirror. All Rights Reserved