A patient infected with the Meningococcal bacteria has been identified in Colombo District, ‘Aruna’ newspaper reports.
The bacteria was identified to be the reason for a spate of infections and two deaths at the Galle prison.
The patient found from Colombo District is said to be a 49-year-old resident of the Ja-ela area who is employed in the Ratmalana MoH area.
After initially being admitted to the KDU hospital with a fever, he has been subsequently admitted to the Colombo National Hospital for further treatment.
According to Rathmalana MOH – Mr. J.M. Gunathilaka, around 30 contacts of the patient have also been examined and given antibiotics.
(Source : Aruna)