The 76th Budget of Sri Lanka will be presented to Parliament today (12).
The Budget Proposal for 2022 will be presented by Minister of Finance Basil Rajapaksa.
At the moment, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has entered Parliament to witness the Budget Speech presentation.
14.06 : Minister of Finance Basil Rajapaksa commences his inaugural budget speech.
In his opening remarks, the Finance Minister said :
- "We are presenting this budget at a time when we are facing five global crises."
- "There seems no other people who loves the environment as much as we do"
- "A government that has done what we say, we have achieved the vaccinating goals against Covid-19. Many refer to us as the Vaccinated Nation in Asia."
- "There is no room for terrorism in this country anymore. Our country is one of the most stable countries in the world."
- "Unfortunately, we face a number of obstacles that hinder our development journey."
- "We protected our banking system."
- "In 2021 alone, about 20% of the government's recurrent expenditures had to be borne as social welfare expenditures."
- The maintenance of state enterprises costs around Rs. 75 billion annually.
- "Foreign Direct Investment has become a challenge for many years. They did not increase to the levels expected by governments."