Connect with us

News

Sha’Carri becomes fastest woman, winning first major title

Published

on

Dina Asher-Smith missed out on a 100m medal at the World Championships in Budapest as American Sha’Carri Richardson beat a star-studded field of rivals to claim her first major title.

Britain’s Asher-Smith finished a disappointing eighth in 11.00 seconds after scraping through the semi-finals.

Richardson, contesting her first major final at 23, clocked a championship record 10.65 secs to take victory.

Jamaica’s Shericka Jackson took silver ahead of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.

Jackson, the reigning 200m champion, ran 10.72 secs as compatriot and record five-time champion Fraser-Pryce finished in 10.77.

Three-time individual world medal winner Asher-Smith, who was crowned 200m champion in 2019, was left unsure as to why she could not perform at the level she expected.

“I’m almost in disbelief. I know myself and I know that I feel good. I came here for a new personal best,” she said.

“I know I’m in great shape. It doesn’t really happen to me – that’s why I’m so surprised.”

The 27-year-old has made a habit of producing her best at major championships, but her participation in the final was initially unclear after an unconvincing run in the semis earlier in the session.

Asher-Smith appeared to have qualified for the medal race as the last non-automatic qualifier by one thousandth of a second.

But Poland’s Ewa Swoboda was then also permitted to contest the final by organisers due to the miniscule difference between the times set by the two, leaving nine athletes in a stacked race featuring the six fastest women in the world.

In the final it was Richardson – competing at her first major championship after missing the Tokyo Olympics through suspension and failing to qualify for last year’s Worlds – who prevailed, greeting victory with joyous celebrations.

(BBC Sport)

News

SLFP to support no-confidence motion against the Speaker

Published

on

By

The Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) has announced its endorsement of the no-confidence motion to be brought against the Speaker of Parliament Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena.

Accordingly, the SLFP announced that it will support the motion being brought against the Speaker by the opposition, and will vote in favour of it.

On Monday (26 Feb.), several Opposition members, led by Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) Leader Sajith Premadasa, signed a motion of no confidence against the Speaker, claiming that he had violated the Constitution.

As such, a group of MPs belonging to the opposition in Parliament including M. A. Sumanthiran, Lakshman Kiriella, Prof. G. L. Pieris, Tissa Attanayake, Chandima Weerakkody and Shan Wijayalal de Silva, had inked the motion for approving the much-disputed Online Safety Bill amidst ‘irregular procedures’.

The no-confidence motion pointed out that the Speaker had ignored the Supreme Court’s recommendations pertaining to Sections 13, 17, 20, 33 (6), 34 (1), 35 (1), 21, 22 and 33 of the Online Safety Bill.

Earlier this month, Opposition Leader charged that the Speaker had ignored nine recommendations given by the Supreme Court while enacting the Online Safety Act, adding that they no longer have faith in him.

(adaderana.lk)

Continue Reading

News

School outdoor activities suspended over soaring temperatures

Published

on

By

The Education Ministry has instructed all respective school authorities to refrain from making students participate in strenuous outdoor activities until Friday (March 01) at schools as temperatures are expected to rise further.

Accordingly, Sports Day events, sports practices or any other scheduled outdoor activities are urged to be suspended for the time being.

Provincial and zonal authorities of education have been instructed to brief school principals about the matter, the ministry said in a press release.

In addition, school administrations are required to comply with the health guidelines issued by the Health Ministry and the Education Ministry.

Continue Reading

News

Court suspends divestiture process of SLT & Lanka Hospitals

Published

on

By

The Court of Appeal yesterday (27) issued an interim order preventing authorities from proceeding with the divestiture process of Sri Lanka Telecom and Lanka Hospitals Corporation PLC, until March 12.

Three Petitions were filed for Sri Lanka Telecom PLC including by Lyca Mobiles, and S.M.R. M company, while two petitions were filed for Lanka Hospitals Corporation PLC including by Lyca Leasing Holdings.

Upon the oral submissions made by President’s Counsel Kuvera De Zoysa, Court of Appeal Justice D.N. Samarakoon issued notices on respondents, returnable for March 12.

The petitioners named Minister of Finance Ranil Wickremesinghe, State Minister of Finance Shehan Semasinghe, the members of the special Cabinet-appointed negotiating committee for the purpose of selecting pre-qualified bidders for the strategic divestiture pertaining to 51.34% shares of Lanka Hospitals PLC and several others as respondents.

Kuvera De Zoysa, PC with Raslka Dissanayake, Sajana de Zoysa, Dinusha Pathirana and Shablr Huzalr instructed by Sanath Wijewardane appeared for the petitioners.

The petitioners had informed the court that they had submitted bids per the required criteria for the divestiture of the Sri Lankan Government’s shares of 50.23% in Sri Lanka Telecom PLC and 51.34% in Lanka Hospitals Corporation PLC.

The petitioners alleged that, however, the Cabinet of Ministers had rejected the bids without providing any clear explanations, adding that the decision was against the law.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 Sri Lanka Mirror. All Rights Reserved