Connect with us

News

Wanindu suspended from Test series against Bangladesh, Kusal fined

Published

on

Sri Lanka all-rounder Wanindu Hasaranga has been suspended from Bangladesh’s upcoming two-Test series, shortly after announcing his return to Test cricket following retirement from the format last year.

Hasaranga’s suspension stems from an incident during the third ODI against Bangladesh, where he breached Article 2.8 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel by showing dissent at an umpire’s decision. This resulted in a 50 percent fine and three demerit points, bringing his total to eight within 24 months.

Already on five demerit points, Hasaranga’s accumulated total led to a suspension from two T20Is against Bangladesh. Now, with four suspension points, he will miss the two ICC World Test Championship Tests against Bangladesh.

This development comes after Sri Lanka’s victory in the T20 series against Bangladesh, with Hasaranga’s absence from the Test series impacting Sri Lanka’s lineup ahead of the T20I World Cup.

Meanwhile, Sri Lanka captain Kusal Mendis has also been fined 50 per cent of his match for a Level 2 offence. According to the ICC, He was found guilty of breaching article 2.13 of the Code, which relates to “Personal abuse of a Player, Player Support Personnel, Umpire or Match Referee during an International Match.”

In addition to this, three demerit points have been added to the disciplinary record of Mendis, for whom it was the first offence in a 24-month period.

Mendis abused the umpires while shaking hands with them at the end of the match, the ICC says.

Both Hasaranga and Mendis admitted their offences and accepted the sanctions proposed by Andy Pycroft of the Emirates ICC Elite Panel of Match Referees and, as such, there was no need for formal hearings.

On-field umpires Sharfuddoula Saikat and Tanvir Ahmed, third umpire Adrian Holdstock and fourth umpire Richard Kettleborough leveled the charges.

News

Electricity tariffs reduced

Published

on

By

The Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) has approved a reduction of electricity tariffs by 22.5 per cent overall, PUCSL chairman Prof. Manjula Fernando said today (July 15).

The tariff revision, which will be effective from midnight today, is as follows :

Continue Reading

News

FR petition filed over Presidential Election dismissed with costs

Published

on

By

The Supreme Court has dismissed the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed seeking an order to prevent holding of the Presidential Election as the 19th Amendment to the Constitution has not been properly passed in Parliament, subject to costs.

This verdict was issued when the relevant petition filed by Attorney-at-Law Aruna Laksiri was taken up for consideration today (15) before a Supreme Court judge bench comprising Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya, Justices Arjuna Obeysekara and Priyantha Fernando.

Accordingly, the court ordered the petition dismissed with costs of Rs 500,000 to be paid by the petitioner before July 31, 2024.

The petition argued that the 19th Amendment to the Constitution was not properly passed in Parliament and therefore called for a referendum to ensure its proper passage.

The Election Commission and its members, the General Secretary of Parliament and the Attorney General had been named as respondents of this petition.

The petitioner claimed that through the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, Article 70 of the Constitution has been amended to deprive the President of the power to dissolve an elected Parliament after one year has passed.

The petitioner asserted that the amendment has not been approved by a referendum, even though a Supreme Court bench ruled that the amendment should be referred to a referendum.

The petitioner pointed out that the amendment cannot be considered as a law because it has not been approved by a referendum and signed by the President.

Therefore, the petitioner had argued that it is wrong to continue to accept the 19th Amendment as a law.

(adaderana.lk)

Continue Reading

News

Sabry to visit Romania & Poland

Published

on

By

Foreign Minister Ali Sabry will pay official visits to Romania and Poland from 16 to 19 July 2024.  

According to a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Colombo, he will meet with his counterparts and other senior government ministers and officials.

Minister Sabry will also formally open the new Sri Lanka Embassy in Bucharest which commenced operation in 2023.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Sri Lanka Mirror. All Rights Reserved