Connect with us

News

AG seeks to lift interim order on divestment of SLT, Lanka Hospitals

Published

on

The Attorney General has requested the Appeals Court to lift the interim order imposed pertaining to the divestment of Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT) and Lanka Hospitals.

Last week, the Appeals Court delivered an interim order temporarily halting all future measures regarding the divestment of SLT and Lanka Hospitals until March 12.

The relevant order was issued upon consideration of a writ petition filed by Lycamobile SARL and Pettigo Comércio Internacional on behalf of SLT and another filed by Lyca Leasing Holding Limited and HIMS International on behalf of Lanka Hospitals.

When the petitions were taken up again before Appeals Court Judge D. N. Samarakoon today (March 06), Additional Solicitor General Sumathi Dharmawardhane made the request on behalf of the Attorney General.

The petitioning companies have alleged that despite having submitted all required documents to the respondents for the transfer of 50.23% state-owned shares in SLT and 51.34% shares in Lanka Hospitals, the Cabinet sub-committee assigned to the restructuring of State-Owned Enterprises rejected the said applications for no apparent reason.

Thus, the companies have noted that the committee’s decision to reject their applications is not only arbitrary and unfair, but also unlawful, given that they had fulfilled all pre-requisites.

(adaderana.lk)

(This story, originally published by adaderana.lk has not been edited by SLM staff)

Related News :

Court suspends divestiture process of SLT & Lanka Hospitals

Cabinet approval for divestment of govt’s stake in SLT & Lanka Hospitals

News

Electricity tariffs reduced

Published

on

By

The Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) has approved a reduction of electricity tariffs by 22.5 per cent overall, PUCSL chairman Prof. Manjula Fernando said today (July 15).

The tariff revision, which will be effective from midnight today, is as follows :

Continue Reading

News

FR petition filed over Presidential Election dismissed with costs

Published

on

By

The Supreme Court has dismissed the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed seeking an order to prevent holding of the Presidential Election as the 19th Amendment to the Constitution has not been properly passed in Parliament, subject to costs.

This verdict was issued when the relevant petition filed by Attorney-at-Law Aruna Laksiri was taken up for consideration today (15) before a Supreme Court judge bench comprising Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya, Justices Arjuna Obeysekara and Priyantha Fernando.

Accordingly, the court ordered the petition dismissed with costs of Rs 500,000 to be paid by the petitioner before July 31, 2024.

The petition argued that the 19th Amendment to the Constitution was not properly passed in Parliament and therefore called for a referendum to ensure its proper passage.

The Election Commission and its members, the General Secretary of Parliament and the Attorney General had been named as respondents of this petition.

The petitioner claimed that through the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, Article 70 of the Constitution has been amended to deprive the President of the power to dissolve an elected Parliament after one year has passed.

The petitioner asserted that the amendment has not been approved by a referendum, even though a Supreme Court bench ruled that the amendment should be referred to a referendum.

The petitioner pointed out that the amendment cannot be considered as a law because it has not been approved by a referendum and signed by the President.

Therefore, the petitioner had argued that it is wrong to continue to accept the 19th Amendment as a law.

(adaderana.lk)

Continue Reading

News

Sabry to visit Romania & Poland

Published

on

By

Foreign Minister Ali Sabry will pay official visits to Romania and Poland from 16 to 19 July 2024.  

According to a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Colombo, he will meet with his counterparts and other senior government ministers and officials.

Minister Sabry will also formally open the new Sri Lanka Embassy in Bucharest which commenced operation in 2023.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Sri Lanka Mirror. All Rights Reserved