Connect with us

News

COPE urges UGC to collect Rs.2bn from lecturers who didn’t return to SL

Published

on

Rs. 2 billion should be obtained from lecturers who went abroad for study purposes and have not returned, it was revealed during a Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) meeting held recently.

The University Grants Commission (UGC) was summoned before the COPE which met on April 28 under the Chairmanship of MP Ranjith Bandara to discuss many issues related to the university system and higher education in Sri Lanka.

The discussion took place on the basis of 10 points which were brought to the attention of COPE and the COPE made several recommendations to the UGC regarding reforms in the higher education sector.

During the discussion held regarding the lecturers who did not return after leaving the country to pursue further education abroad, the Committee members said that they should take action to recover this amount from the relevant guarantors.

It was revealed that only 84 of the 617 lecturers who went abroad have made the relevant payments so far. Accordingly, the Committee recommended that COPE be informed about the measures taken in this regard within a month.

It was also disclosed that a software engineering degree course has been introduced by the Open University at a cost of Rs.90,000 per year. While stating that usually in a private university such a degree costs Rs. 2-3 million, the UGC Chairman pointed out that this degree can be completed for less than Rs.300,000.

Accordingly, the Committee members advised the Commission to take steps to inform the people about this through the district coordination committees.

News

Electricity tariffs reduced

Published

on

By

The Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) has approved a reduction of electricity tariffs by 22.5 per cent overall, PUCSL chairman Prof. Manjula Fernando said today (July 15).

The tariff revision, which will be effective from midnight today, is as follows :

Continue Reading

News

FR petition filed over Presidential Election dismissed with costs

Published

on

By

The Supreme Court has dismissed the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed seeking an order to prevent holding of the Presidential Election as the 19th Amendment to the Constitution has not been properly passed in Parliament, subject to costs.

This verdict was issued when the relevant petition filed by Attorney-at-Law Aruna Laksiri was taken up for consideration today (15) before a Supreme Court judge bench comprising Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya, Justices Arjuna Obeysekara and Priyantha Fernando.

Accordingly, the court ordered the petition dismissed with costs of Rs 500,000 to be paid by the petitioner before July 31, 2024.

The petition argued that the 19th Amendment to the Constitution was not properly passed in Parliament and therefore called for a referendum to ensure its proper passage.

The Election Commission and its members, the General Secretary of Parliament and the Attorney General had been named as respondents of this petition.

The petitioner claimed that through the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, Article 70 of the Constitution has been amended to deprive the President of the power to dissolve an elected Parliament after one year has passed.

The petitioner asserted that the amendment has not been approved by a referendum, even though a Supreme Court bench ruled that the amendment should be referred to a referendum.

The petitioner pointed out that the amendment cannot be considered as a law because it has not been approved by a referendum and signed by the President.

Therefore, the petitioner had argued that it is wrong to continue to accept the 19th Amendment as a law.

(adaderana.lk)

Continue Reading

News

Sabry to visit Romania & Poland

Published

on

By

Foreign Minister Ali Sabry will pay official visits to Romania and Poland from 16 to 19 July 2024.  

According to a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Colombo, he will meet with his counterparts and other senior government ministers and officials.

Minister Sabry will also formally open the new Sri Lanka Embassy in Bucharest which commenced operation in 2023.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Sri Lanka Mirror. All Rights Reserved