Connect with us

News

CBK gives approval to release those who tried to assassinate her

Published

on

According to Article 34 of the Constitution of Sri Lanka, the President Ranil Wickremesinghe has granted amnesty to eight Tamil prisoners who by the powers assigned to the President in connection with granting amnesty to a person convicted by a court of Sri Lanka.

As a result of several discussions between Tamil MPs and the President on several occasions, steps were taken to release these prisoners. Before their release, a preliminary investigation had been carried out on them with the intervention of the Ministry of Defence on the instructions of the President. This decision has been reached after consulting the Minister of Justice and through him the Attorney General about the consent report.

Three of the Tamil prisoners who were pardoned were those accused of attempting to assassinate former President Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga. Before proceeding with the process of releasing these prisoners,  the President’s Secretary Mr Saman Ekanayake had sought the approval of former President Ms. Kumaratunga on the advice of the President, the relevant arrangements were made after obtaining her consent.

Accordingly, the four detainees with connections to the LTTE organization who were detained at the Colombo Magazine Prison were released after their sentence was reduced.

Two Tamil LTTE prisoners related to the organization are to be released after the cases filed by them in the Court of Appeal are withdrawn and two more Tamil prisoners are to be released soon under the presidential amnesty.

Three prisoners had been sentenced to 30 years in prison and had served 22 years, one prisoner who had been sentenced to 11 years and had served 14 years, one who has been sentenced to 10 years and had also served 14 years, two prisoners who were sentenced to five years but had served for14 years, were among those who received a presidential pardon. Another person who had been sentenced to 19 years in prison and had served 11 years of his sentence so far, was also among those who were pardoned.

BIZ

Vehicle import ban extended until next year

Published

on

By

The government has postponed the lifting of the ban on private vehicle imports until the beginning of next year.

A decision has been made to put off lifting the ban because the country’s economy has not stabilised enough and foreign reserves are not at a sufficient level to facilitate such imports, a senior Treasury official told the Sunday Times. He said the import of private vehicles will result in an annual foreign exchange outflow of about USD 1 billion.

However, the import of commercial vehicles such as lorries, buses and trucks, as well as vans used in the tourism sector, can start next month, the official added. Vehicles used for government ministries and other agencies too will only be imported from the beginning of next year when the ban is lifted on private vehicle imports.

The government had earlier planned to allow the import of electric vehicles and private cars by the end of this year. This has also now been postponed until next year.

Motorbikes and three-wheelers make up the largest number of private vehicle imports. The import of these vehicles will have to be postponed until at least May or June next year due to the economy still not having recovered enough, the official revealed.

Small cars with engine capacities ranging from 600 cc to 800 cc are usually imported in bulk. Therefore, the government will allow only a certain quota of such vehicles to be imported. Only authorised local agents of the parent companies will be allowed to import such vehicles initially.

When allowing the import of vehicles from the start of next year, the government will also give priority to companies that locally assemble the vehicles from imported parts, the Treasury source said.

Meanwhile, about 10,000 vehicle permits issued to doctors and senior government officers are still pending. The official said they would only be able to consider allowing these vehicle imports next year, but that their vehicles too would not be allowed to be imported in bulk. The decision on these imports will depend on the state of the economy.

Traders will not be able to import vehicles in bulk and will only be allowed to import a limited number of vehicles. Only reconditioned vehicles that are two years old or less will be imported. Their engine capacities, too, will depend on what the government considers can be imported without harming the still fragile economy.

If the vehicle imports prove too much of a burden on the country’s economy and lead to serious strain on the US dollar and the country’s foreign reserves, the Treasury will not hesitate to re-impose restrictions, the official added.

(sundaytimes.lk)

(Except for the headline, this story, originally published by sundaytimes.lk has not been edited by SLM staff)

Continue Reading

News

JVP death threats to Hudson

Published

on

By

A serious death threat has been levelled against Chairman of the Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC) Hudson Samarasinghe by JVP Central Committee member and NPP National Executive member Wasantha Samarasinghe.

The death threat by Wasantha Samarasinghe is being circulated on social media and Hudson Samarasinghe’s life is in great danger.

Wasantha Samarasinghe had said that there will be no room to hide and they will settle this score at the election and Hudson Samarasinghe will not be allowed to flee the country. Even if he flees the country, there are more people of Malimawa (Compass) in those countries, Wasantha Samarasinghe said.

Wasantha Samarasinghe who had said that there is no escape from the law, added that Sri Lankans in other countries had teamed up with Malimawa) and Hudson will end up on the Moon.

Hudson Samarasinghe, one of the most experienced media broadcasters in the country, is also a veteran media administrator. A former Member of Parliament, Hudson is the SLBC Chairman for the sixth time.

(sundayobserver.lk)
(This story, originally published by sundayobserver.lk has not been edited by SLM staff)

Continue Reading

News

Presidential election on September 21

Published

on

By

Nominations for the presidential election are set to be accepted only in mid-August, not earlier, with the announcement of the exact date to be made in the coming week, Election Commission sources said yesterday.

Accordingly, the election is now expected to be held on September 21, instead of October 5 or 12, as earlier indicated. Constitutionally, after the announcement of the elections, nominations should be received within 16 to 21 days, and elections should be held within 28 to 42 days, thereby giving the Commission a maximum of 63 days to conduct the poll.

Political parties, election monitoring groups and civil society groups have stepped up their campaigns, calling on the Election Commission to announce the day of nominations as early as possible. The Commission, since last Wednesday (July 17), has been empowered to make an announcement about the day of the nominations.

Elections Commissioner General Saman Shri Ratnayake told the Sunday Times that political parties and other groups should refrain from demanding an early declaration of elections as it could be seen as an interference in the Commission’s activities.

Election Commission Chairman R.M.A.L. Ratnayake told the Sunday Times that the nominations for the election would be called for “in the next few days”, with the arrangements well underway for the conduct of the polls.

He said in the latest of a series of meetings with officials, he met with Treasury Secretary Mahinda Siriwardena and Treasury officials on Wednesday, where an assurance was given that the allocation of Rs 10 billion would be released in keeping with the requirements.

He said that it was pointed out at the meeting that expenses could be doubled compared to the previous presidential election.

Meanwhile, the Elections Commission has requested Police Chief Deshabandu Tennakkoon to draw out a security plan for the nomination day and the campaign period leading up to the election. The Commission has also requested a plan regarding the deployment of police personnel and vehicles.

A cabinet paper was submitted by President Ranil Wickremesinghe this week on increasing the personal security of candidates for the upcoming presidential election. Accordingly, approval was granted to appoint a committee to oversee the personal security arrangements of the candidates. The committee consists of the Public Security Ministry Secretary, the Chief of Defence Staff, the Inspector General of Police, the Chief of National Intelligence, and the Senior Deputy Inspector General in charge of elections.

(sundaytimes.lk)
(Except for the headline, this story, originally published by sundaytimes.lk has not been edited by SLM staff)

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Sri Lanka Mirror. All Rights Reserved